Query Re: International ANSWER

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 9 16:15:36 MDT 2003

At 2:44 PM -0700 7/9/03, Adam Levenstein wrote:
>  > True, true.  Come to think of it, I can't possibly read all the
>>  messages in my in-box either.  :->
>>
>>  Will call IAC & ANSWER and see if I will get anywhere.  The best
>>  thing, though, is for someone who has been active in IAC and/or
>>  ANSWER and personally knows the folks on the steering committee to
>>  pitch the idea to the Becker brothers or Holmes or both or anyone
>>  else in charge -- they don't know me (I met Sara Flounders once, but
>>  I doubt that she remembers me).
>>
>>  There are so many US Marxists here, but none here close to IAC and/or
>>
>>  ANSWER decision-makers?
>
>I do work with IAC locally quite a bit, but I don't have the contact
>info you're looking for. I can ask, though--or I could raise your
>proposals with the local IAC and send them "up the chain," as it
>were.
>
>Adam

Do ask around and also send the proposals "up the chain."  Let me
know if you get any responses.

BTW, in a previous post, I listed all 35 members of the UFPJ steering
committee, but the interim co-chairs of the UFPJ are Leslie Cagan,
Bob Wing, Bill Fletcher, and George Friday.  Members of a
subcommittee to "do an overall review of the action-related proposals
and decisions made at the conference," developing "recommendations
for how to move forward and what working groups to establish based on
the expressed priorities at the conference and UFPJ's organizational
capacity, including its financial resources" are Judith LeBlanc
(co-coordinator), Leslie Kauffman (co-coordinator), Lisa Fithian
(co-coordinator), Michael Letwin, Rahul Majahan, Efia Nwangaza, Amy
Quinn, Andrea Buffa, Kai Newkirk, Eun Sook Lee, Hany Khalil, Shirley
Young, and George Martin.  The thing is, though, that none of the
campaign "priorities" developed before and during the conference (see
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=1755>) is specifically
focused on Bringing Soldiers Home Now -- hence my attempt at lobbying.

Postscript: Will I be able to see you at Pittsburgh
<http://solidarity.igc.org/ss2003.php>?  From Columbus, Sonya,
Rachel, and I will be attending the summer school.
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,