Forwarded from Nestor (Civil War)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 11:45:04 MDT 2003

I am delighted to see that my comments on the American Civil War
triggered such an interesting debate _between American cdes._ This is, I
believe, the kind of stuff that makes this list so exemplary and important.

I wanted to stress, however, that I definitely wrote those lines on the
ACW as an aside, an illustration of a general point. I bother to state
this because I have read, somewhere, that DMS questions my intentions in
broaching the issue (on a reply to Jim Farmelant, I believe). Honestly,
I prefer not to guess what is it that DMS is thinking about when he
makes such a questioning.

What else could I talk about the American Civil War for, if not as an
illustration of a general point? What is the use of that lesson from
history to a Latin American, if not that "underdevelopment" and foreign
intervention overlap, enmesh, intertwin and constitute a single set of
problems? That the answer from the Southerner slaveowners was secession
and disruption while that of the North was the Union? And that the
political goal of the North could only be obtained by an expropriation
of the slaveowners? And -last but not least- that the North won the war
-originally fought over the issue of "Union or Confederacy"- because
they expropriated those slaveowners, and not the other way round (a
Trotsky of those times would have smiled at such a demonstration of the
principle of the permanent revolution!)

The other great issues involved (particularly slavery and "states
rights") are not, _as such_, sointeresting for us in Argentina. Slavery
is not a focal Argentinean issue (nor, in general, Hispanic American
save, perhaps, for the expeditions of the _Southerner_ Walker in Central
America during the 1850s). We are sinners of many sins, but that one
cannot be laid at our doorstep. So that emancipation as such is not a
focal point for a revolutionary here. And "states rights" has a
completely different contents and meaning here, where federalism was the
result of very different and in a sense opposite historic forces than in
the US.

DMS is consistently attempting to deform not only my ideas, now he
questions my intentions too. Isn´t this a little bit too much, dear
cdes. and friends?

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org