U.S. Army Baits Ambushers With Own Troops

DMS dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 08:51:31 MDT 2003

Les,

Was typing a reply to you and it just disappeared.
Please forgive if it turns up on the list and this
duplicates part of the message.

There are lots of studies but short term memory loss
being what it is, I'll have to do some research.

Think Giap wrote one.  Know the US War College has
several.

However, the war was not exclusively a guerrilla war.
Depending on time and terrain and tactics, large infantry
units, supported by artillery, engaged each other.  Smaller
infantry units also operated on a non-guerilla basis.

MACV divided, for a time, SVN into 4 corps from North to South:

I Corp North--included Da Nang, Phu Bai, My Lai, Khe Sanh etc.
II Corp-- Included Central Highlands to the Cambodian border,
parts of the Iron Triangle, Pleiku, Kontum, and the famous
Ia Drang,

III Corp-- area south of II, excepting the area around a 25 klick
radius of Saigon known as War Zone C.  Also contained areas
of Iron Triangle.  Area where the Vietnames built the famous
tunnels of Cu Chi, right under the HQ of the 25th (I think)
infantry division.

IV Corp, area south of Saigon, combat here was almost entirely
guerrilla type, as the terrain-- swamps, bayous, etc. inhibited
large maneuver battallions.