znet/weisbrot on deflation - critique?

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 23:22:49 MDT 2003

I too would be interested in a response from the economically literate as well.

My own opinion, from the depths of the most partial of understandings, is
that the article makes too easy an assumption about how the cure for
deflation could be brought about.  For him it appears to be a simple case
of pressing the Keynesian button, printing money and increasing demand.

If it is so simple why hasn't Japan done it?  He gives no explanation
here.  To say that the problem is not economic but political really betrays
at best a liberal consciousness.  Even if the characterisation is correct
why should political problems be easier to solve than economic ones?

I will await what my economic betters say with great interest.

Gary