Forwarded from Anthony (Civil War)

DMS dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 07:34:42 MDT 2003

Comrade MP writes:
How one can speak of the primitive accumulation of capital in America during
the 1800s has always been baffling to me. After the emergence of the social
power of capital and formation of the capitalist class, the penetration of
capital - as social relations of production, in the backward areas and amongst the
backward colored masses cannot be understood as the process Marx calls the
primitive accumulation of capital, but capital reproduction. It is true that the
early clearing of the Native Bands from their land and the early slave trade
formed the pivot of capital accumulation on a world scale and here in America,
but the point of transition has taken place by the 1800s.

For me, this issue is the focal point for
apprehending the development of US capitalism.

In the analysis of US capitalism, we must begin with the role of
black labor, organized, collective, dispossessed black labor,
and the expropriation of the products of that labor.

I agree that that labor was part of the world system of
capital's mode of UNprimitive accumulation, yet the slave system
being what it was, demanding NOT the application of more
resources for increased output, butthe "sequestering" of
resources to maintain the landed property form against the
expansion of free soil/free labor, became the obstacle.

It is that "hidden history" of the march of black
labor to the freedom lines that indicates the path forward
to revolution.

dms