(fwd from Roger Baker) bicephalous

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 11 16:57:24 MDT 2003

The first time I used the word bicephalous in a piece for Swans I got several e-
e-mails from people asking what I was meaning...

I've long been befuddled -- until Lou Paulsen explained to me in various
private exchanges earlier this year the nature of American politics, the "Left"
and all -- by the strong distinction made by most people between the
Democrats and the Republicans. In the 20 some years that I have been in this
country I still fail to see much difference between a Chevy and a Ford!

But then, what can I say? I'm a so-called French alien! And, English being my
third language, it is certainly flattering to be considered a "skilled wordsmith..."
Thank you Roger.
Gilles
[Roger wrote]
Gilles concludes:

<<The GP may not be the perfect vehicle but it seems that at this time it's the
only vehicle that has *some* viability if one wants to break ranks with the
bicephalous system>>

I don't want to appear presumptuous about words, especially when the word
is used by a skilled wordsmith like Gilles, but it is unusual to see the word
"bicephalous," which of course means two-headed. Perhaps a closer
approximation of the system is "bihydrocephalus."

Webster: hydrocephalus: an abnormal increase in the amount of cerebrospinal
fluid within the cranial cavity that is accompanied by expansion of the cerebral
ventricles, enlargement of the skull and especially the forehead, and atrophy of
the brain (untreated).