Support Letwin's UFPJ Proposal: Bring the Troops Home

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 12 19:56:26 MDT 2003

Here's a proposal for a campaign to Bring the Troops Home & End the
Occupation that Michael Letwin of NYCLAW presented to the UFPJ
Steering Committee meeting.

>To: UFPJ National Steering Committee
>Fr: Michael Letwin, New York City Labor Against the War; UFPJ-NYC
>Administrative Committee
>Re: Proposal for Campaign to Bring the Troops Home Now/End the
>Occupation of Iraq!

>Since UFPJ's national conference in June, the Iraq Occupation's
>human and financial costs have become rapidly apparent.
>
>These include ballooning Iraqi resistance, U.S. and Iraqi
>casualties, G.I. and military family anger at the Bush
>administration, expose of the administration's WMD deceptions, and
>twice the previous government-estimated price-tag ($4b/m).
>
>In other words, the Occupation is rapidly becoming a serious--and
>apparently unsolvable--political liability for the administration.
>
>I propose that this Saturday's UFPJ Steering Committee meeting
>respond by initiating the campaign presented in the Northeast Ohio
>Anti-War Coalition's July 8 Call for Unity of the U.S. Anti-War
>Movement under the central slogan: "Bring the Troops Home Now/End
>the Occupation of Iraq!"  [see below].
>
>This would serve many purposes, including:
>
>1.  A badly-needed, increasingly viable central focus that addresses
>the war abroad and at home, around which to organize our many action
>proposals.
>
>2.  Re-mobilization of antiwar activists who became demoralized
>and/or disoriented after the war began.
>
>3.  New and stronger ties with, and support for, anti-Occupation
>sentiment among GIs/military families, who are overwhelmingly
>working class and disproportionately people of color.
>
>4.  Ties with the Iraqi anti-Occupation movement.
>
>5.  Pursuit of our commitment to seek joint work with other antiwar
>coalitions.

Before I received Michael's proposal, I sent my own plea for a
campaign to Bring the Troops Home Now to some members of the UFPJ
Steering Committee whose contact information I had at hand (as well
as various anti-war coalitions, organizations, listservs, etc.).
Ajamu Dillahunt of Black Solidarity Against the War wrote me back
saying that he hopes that UFPJ will initiate such a campaign.

At 10:07 PM -0400 7/11/03, Ajamu Dillahunt wrote:
>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:07:14 -0400
>From: Ajamu Dillahunt <ardillahunt at igc.org>
>Subject: Re: Initiate a Campaign to Bring Soldiers Home _Now_
>To: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>Thanks for sending this. I will get it around to folks. i hope the
>meeting this weekend agrees to take up some version of a "Bring the
>troops home, end the occupation campaign". Unfortunately, i won't be
>able to attend but folks that i have talked to from our region will
>be getting behind this idea.
>Peace,
>Ajamu

I've also received notes of agreement from Bill Fletcher of the
TransAfrica Forum and Jeff McKenzie of Military Families Speak Out,
among others.

If you think that the Letwin proposal is good, you might contact the
UFPJ Steering Committee and Staff and tell them that you support it:

UFPJ National Steering Committee

These thirty-five people were elected at the June 2003 United for
Peace and Justice National Strategy Conference to serve as UFPJ's
national steering committee:

Frank Ackles, Veterans For Peace
Andrea Buffa, Global Exchange, <andrea at globalexchange.org>
Leslie Cagan, Pacifica Foundation, <lesliecagan at igc.org>
Kelly Campbell, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows,
<kelly at peacefultomorrows.org>
Patricia Clark, Fellowship of Reconciliation, <pclark at forusa.org>
Saulo Colon, Vieques Support Campaign
Julio César de Tapia, People for Peace and Justice of Utah
Ajamu Dillahunt, Black Solidarity Against the War, <ardillahunt at igc.org>
Lisa Fithian, RANT, <fithianl at igc.org>
Bill Fletcher, TransAfrica Forum, <bfletcher at transafricaforum.org>
George Friday, Independent Progressive Politics Network
Jen Geiger, Women's Int'l League for Peace and Freedom, <jengeiger at wilpf.org>
Van Gosse, Historians Against the War, <van.gosse at fandm.edu>
Graylan Hagler, Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ,
<gshagler at earthlink.net>
Rebecca Kaiser, Nebraskans for Peace, <sos2003 at bugeaters.net>
Deb Kory, Tikkun Magazine and Community, <kory at tikkun.org>
Judith LeBlanc, Communist Party, <jleblanc at cpusa.org>
Eun Sook Lee, Young Koreans United/USA, <yku at ykuusa.org>
Michael Letwin, NYC Labor Against the War, <mletwin at comcast.net>
Rahul Mahajan, Nowar Collective/Austin Coalition, <rahulm at mail.utexas.edu>
Jessica Marshall, National Youth and Student Peace Coalition,
<jase at alum.dartmouth.org>
Kevin Martin, Peace Action, <kmartin at peace-action.org>
George Martin, Milwaukee Coalition for a Just Peace, <pamilw at execpc.com>
Rania Masri, Institute for Southern Studies, <rania at nc.rr.com>
Ignacio Meneses, National Network on Cuba, <laborexchange at aol.com>
Gale Murphy, Code Pink, <gael at codepinkalert.org>
Amy Newell, U.S. Labor Against the War, <amynewell at charter.net>
Kai Newkirk, STARC Alliance (Students Transforming and Resisting
Corporations), <nkn99 at hampshire.edu>
Efia Nwangaza, Not In Our Name Project, <wangaza at aol.com>
Baltazar Pinguel, American Friends Service Committee, <BPinguel at afsc.org>
Amy Quinn, Institute for Policy Studies, <a-quinn at mindspring.com>
Josh Ruebner, US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation, <jruebner at hotmail.com>
Damu Smith, Black Voices for Peace, <action at bvfp.org>
Bob Wing, War Times, <2bobwing at attbi.com>
Shirley H. Young, Military Families Speak Out, <shirleyhyoung at netscape.net>

The interim co-chairs of the UFPJ are Leslie Cagan, Bob Wing, Bill
Fletcher, and George Friday.

Members of a subcommittee to "do an overall review of the
action-related proposals and decisions made at the conference,"
developing "recommendations for how to move forward and what working
groups to establish based on the expressed priorities at the
conference and UFPJ's organizational capacity, including its
financial resources" are Judith LeBlanc (co-coordinator), Leslie
Kauffman (co-coordinator) <laklak at erols.com>, Lisa Fithian
(co-coordinator), Michael Letwin, Rahul Majahan, Efia Nwangaza, Amy
Quinn, Andrea Buffa, Kai Newkirk, Eun Sook Lee, Hany Khalil
<hanykhalil at igc.org>, Shirley Young, and George Martin.
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: