Transgressive Abercrombie & Fitch?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 13 08:49:22 MDT 2003

Here's an article on the waspy retail outlet's discriminatory hiring
practices. This is the same outfit whose catalog Zizek wrote copy for. I
definitely want to track that down. (I wonder if he mentions Lenin?) If you
go to their website at http://www.abercrombie.com/, you'll find a
calculated bid to appear "transgressive". The photos are in the Bruce Weber
mode, which is to say mildly homoerotic. If you select "A&F Quarterly" from
the home page, you'll discover that it is a special "Sex Ed" issue filled
with knowing references to French pornographic novels from the 1920s and
fetish models. This kind of stuff inspired Thomas Frank to launch the
magazine "The Baffler" in the 1990s. Here is one of his keen observations:

"The ways in which this system are to be resisted are equally well
understood and agreed-upon. The Establishment demands homogeneity; we
revolt by embracing diverse, individual life-styles. It demands self-denial
and rigid adherence to convention; we revolt through immediate
gratification, instinct uninhibited, and liberation of the libido and the
appetites. Few have put it more bluntly than Jerry Rubin did in 1970:
'Amerika says: Don't! The yippies say: Do It!' The countercultural idea is
hostile to any law and every establishment. 'Whenever we see a rule, we
must break it,' Rubin continued. 'Only by breaking rules do we discover who
we are.' Above all rebellion consists of a sort of Nietzschean
antinomianism, an automatic questioning of rules, a rejection of whatever
social prescriptions we've happened to inherit. Just Do It is the whole of
the law." (Commodify Your Dissent, p. 32)

====

NY Times, July 13, 2003
Going for the Look, but Risking Discrimination
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

CHICAGO, July 6 — A funny thing happens when Elizabeth Nill, a sophomore at
Northwestern University, goes shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch.

At no fewer than three Abercrombie stores, she says, managers have
approached her and offered her a job as a clerk.

"Every time this happens, my little sister says, `Not again,' " said Ms.
Nill, who is 5-foot-6 and has long blond hair. She looks striking. She
looks hip. She looks, in fact, as if she belongs in an Abercrombie & Fitch
catalog.

Is this a coincidence? A fluke? No, says Antonio Serrano, a former
assistant Abercrombie store manager in Scranton, Pa. It's policy.

"If someone came in with a pretty face, we were told to approach them and
ask them if they wanted a job," Mr. Serrano said. "They thought if we had
the best-looking college kids working in our store, everyone will want to
shop there."

Abercrombie's aggressive approach to building a pretty and handsome sales
force, an effort that company officials proudly acknowledge, is a leading
example of what many industry experts and sociologists describe as a
steadily growing trend in American retailing. From Abercrombie to the
cosmetics giant L'Oréal, from the sleek W hotel chain to the Gap,
businesses are openly seeking workers who are sexy, sleek or simply
good-looking.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/13/national/13LOOK.html