Building a unified anti-war movement

Gary Wilson gary at wwpublish.com
Sun Jul 13 12:37:07 MDT 2003

Below are two letters from ANSWER,
one to the United for Peace
and Justice's Steering Committee and
the other to the Northeast Ohio Anti-War
Coalition (NOAC).

Dear NOAC Coordinating Committee:

We have seen your statement: A Call for Unity in the U.S.
Anti-War Movement. As you can see from the following
proposal that was sent to the UFPJ, the A.N.S.W.E.R.
Coalition Steering Committee agrees with the spirit and
intent of your call for unity.

It is clear that the war in Iraq is not over. The
colonial-type occupation of Iraq reveals its brutality
day-in and day-out. The resistance forces undoubtedly have
broader popular support because of the hatred engendered
by the war and occupation. It is vital that the anti-war
movement act with great urgency in order to reach a larger
part of the population that can be brought into activity.
Unless the occupation is brought to an end, the body count
will only grow. By mobilizing together we can renew and
strengthen the momentum of the anti-war movement that
emerged in the last year.

We have sent a proposal to the UFPJ Steering Committee for
a united front demonstration on October 25. For your
information, we have made similar proposals on all
national actions initiated by the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
in the last year, as well as the February 15-16
demonstrations in New York and San Francisco. We have
repeatedly initiated liaison discussions between our
leadership and the leadership of the UFPJ in the hope of
working in unity to build the broadest possible movement
in opposition to Bush's criminal war. We welcome all
ongoing efforts in this regard.

As an informational matter, when USLAW and the
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition became aware that they had each
called events for the same weekend, the two groups opened
up a line of communication. Specifically a representative
from USLAW, and Brian Becker on behalf of A.N.S.W.E.R.,
communicated by phone and by e-mail. The outcome of those
discussions was supportive of each other's work and both
activities.

Again, thank you for your initiative.

In solidarity,

Brian Becker, Mara Verheyden-Hilliard
on behalf of the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition

Dear Sisters and Brothers of United for Peace and Justice,

We are writing in regard to ongoing efforts to build unity
in the U.S. anti-war and social justice movement.
Recognizing that the movement should be as broad and
inclusive as possible, we have sought to build a united
front as we have organized mass demonstrations and
anti-war campaigns across the country. As many of you
know, since UFPJ's inception, we have invited UFPJ to
co-sponsor and share fully in the speakers and program for
major national anti-war marches on Washington that we have
organized, and have had conference calls between the
leadership of UFPJ and A.N.S.W.E.R. to this end.

As an outcome of the A.N.S.W.E.R. national conference on
May 17-18, we adopted an action plan that included an
International March on Washington on October 25 focused on
the Bush Administration's illegal occupation of Iraq. The
demonstration is designed to show massive support inside
the United States for the demand: End the Occupation,
Bring the Troops Home Now. The demonstration will also
focus on the devastating consequences of the Bush
Administration's assault on social, economic and political
rights at home. As the October 25-26 weekend is the
anniversary of the signing of the Patriot Act, the
demonstration will call for an end to repressive laws
enacted under the cloak of "national security" both in the
U.S. and around the world.

We anticipate that tens of thousands of people will
participate, including delegations from countries around
the world, marching under the banner "The World Unites
Against U.S. Militarism."

We would like to take this opportunity to extend an
invitation to United for Peace and Justice to form a
united front with the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition in order to
build the broadest possible mobilization. We would propose
that there be an equal sharing of responsibility for
logistics and mobilization and for the creation of the
program on the day of the demonstration.

In solidarity,

Brian Becker
Mara Verheyden-Hilliard
on behalf of the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition Steering Committee