Quote of the Day - George Bush

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:20:21 MDT 2003

I was beginning to think I imagined things - this quote, although quite am
amazing assertion, has been suppressed (or at least ignored) from virtually
every news source which covered this event (Bush speaking to reporters after
his talk with Annan). However it has now appeared in print:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56336-2003Jul14.html?nav=hptop_tb

>Defending the broader decision to go to war with Iraq, the president said
>the decision
>was made after he gave Saddam Hussein "a chance to allow the inspectors in,
>and he
>wouldn't let them in."

The Post even goes so far as to point out the obvious (or at least, what
should be obvious, but sadly in these days of woefully uniformed people,
probably isn't);

>The president's assertion that the war began because Iraq did not admit
>inspectors
>appeared to contradict the events leading up to war this spring: Hussein
>had, in fact,
>admitted the inspectors and Bush had opposed extending their work because
>he did
>not believe them effective.

All I can say about this, though is: "appeared" to contradict? You've got to
be kidding. How about "was a preposterous and outrageous lie"?