"Sequestering" Resources-- the South and the North

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 11:48:30 MDT 2003

Dms,

You now say that the Civil War wasn't about developing the Southern
economy but about freeing the Northern economy from the dead hand of the
South.  If so, the problem wasn't solved by civil war but by Republican
victory in the election of 1860 and Southern secession.  Together, they
had pretty much freed "the North" of its Southern encumbrances.

If we want to know why those hundreds of thousands of Unionists
(Southern as well as Northern) fought the Civil War, we might have to
look at something other than census data and economic determinist
assumptions.

Solidarity!
mal