"Sequestering" Resources-- the South and the North

DMS dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 15 11:25:57 MDT 2003

mal--

I don't think I asked for a different interpretation of all
of US history, just the driving forces of the Civil War.

Certainly it's a social struggle and not simply a sectional
dispute, but those societies build themselves around
specific organizations of property, those societies reproduce
themselves through the appropriation of labor, and the social
struggle is driven by the conflicts and contradictions within
and between property forms.

That, I believe is the essence of the disagreement. Yes,
I discount considerations of "natural rights" as motor
forces in these conflicts, first, because natural rights
is an oxymoron, and secondly because an ideology or a
dispute in ideology gives off no information as to the
criticality of the dispute, the expansion of the dis-agreement
into a cause for the mobilization of arms. Historical
development drops away-- for example it took more than 2 years
of civil war for Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Procla-
mation, and even then it was limited in application.

Prior to that, if I recall correctly (not near my notes), wasn't
Col John T. Fremont transferred from his command in Tennessee
for declaring emancipation?

So how do we account for this transition if we do not go back
to the root, material, causes of the conflict and find in
that the force that will compel Lincoln to issue the procla-
mation; the force that will require the destruction of the
slaveholders' property; and the force that will then pull back
from the true task of the emancipation of labor and seek
reconciliation with legacy of the slaveholders?

Anyway, we're getting to the point where we are repeating
positions, rather than introducing new information, so I'm going
to track down the data from the 1860 census and see what
I can see.

best,
dms