Answer responds to Ohio coalition's call for unity

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Jul 15 19:10:07 MDT 2003

I hope we can quickly move to a united october 25 action for US out of
Iraq now.  I think a lot of kvetching about ANSWER calling it first
can be avoided, since everyone else has had plenty of opportunity to
beat them to the punch. I believe this is a needed call and will win
broader support, and I hope the other groups move now to take the
first step toward a real united action -- ENDORSING NOW IN PLENTY OF
TIME.
Fred Feldman

Dear NOAC Coordinating Committee:

We have seen your statement: A Call for Unity in the U.S.
Anti-War Movement. As you can see from the following
proposal that was sent to the UFPJ, the A.N.S.W.E.R.
Coalition Steering Committee agrees with the spirit and
intent of your call for unity.

It is clear that the war in Iraq is not over. The
colonial-type occupation of Iraq reveals its brutality
day-in and day-out. The resistance forces undoubtedly have
broader popular support because of the hatred engendered
by the war and occupation. It is vital that the anti-war
movement act with great urgency in order to reach a larger
part of the population that can be brought into activity.
Unless the occupation is brought to an end, the body count
will only grow. By mobilizing together we can renew and
strengthen the momentum of the anti-war movement that
emerged in the last year.

We have sent a proposal to the UFPJ Steering Committee for
a united front demonstration on October 25. For your
information, we have made similar proposals on all
national actions initiated by the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
in the last year, as well as the February 15-16
demonstrations in New York and San Francisco. We have
repeatedly initiated liaison discussions between our
leadership and the leadership of the UFPJ in the hope of
working in unity to build the broadest possible movement
in opposition to Bush's criminal war. We welcome all
ongoing efforts in this regard.

As an informational matter, when USLAW and the
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition became aware that they had each
called events for the same weekend, the two groups opened
up a line of communication. Specifically a representative
from USLAW, and Brian Becker on behalf of A.N.S.W.E.R.,
communicated by phone and by e-mail. The outcome of those
discussions was supportive of each other's work and both
activities.

Again, thank you for your initiative.

In solidarity,

Brian Becker, Mara Verheyden-Hilliard