"Sequestering" Resources-- the South and the North

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Tue Jul 15 20:38:27 MDT 2003

I think you have to look at all of the factors of production -- in a
holistic manner, not a reductionist manner -- and how these were organized
in the antebellum south, including: 1) the monopoly of landownership, and
particular large-scale agricultural production (most especially cotton), 2)
the mobility of capital and its free access to productive activity in this
environment (most especially northern industrial capital), and 3) the
disposition of the bulk of the labor force as chattel slaves, not subject
to the market either as consumers, nor as sellers of labor power. Taken
together, I believe these elements ("contradiction between productive
forces and social relations" -- of course, Gramsci recognized workers as
part of the productive forces) were the necessary (but insufficient) basis
for the civil war. The fuse, I believe was the element of "will": that is
the pending rebellion of the slaves.

Mike