Reporters Without Borders: pro-USA

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 09:13:38 MDT 2003

Emily Jacquard (from rsf in Canada)

> REporters without borders says that Cuba is the largest prison for
> journalists in the world

Thank you for correcting me. You do in fact state this in fine print. In
any case, this does not address the main point I was making, which is
the threat posed to democracy by the corporate media. If the USA had the
right to fund whoever it liked in Cuba, it would soon be able to exert
the kind of influence it has in Venezuela. You campaign against
reporters being tortured or locked up, but you don't seem at all
bothered by the power of the US media to control information through the
power of the dollar. As A.J. Liebling once said, "Freedom of the press
is guaranteed only to those who own one." Until you liberals begin to
understand and act on this, democracy will be far more threatened than
it will be by the occasional government censor. Where do you people get
your funding from, by the way? CPJ at least lists its corporate
sponsors. With outfits like Hachette Inc. doing your public relations, I
assume that your bills must be substantial.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org