fwd: Ocalan: "My historical mission for peace ceases"

paul illich paul_illich at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:19:00 MDT 2003

Hmmmmmm.....

The Kurdish Observer - "Ocalan: My historical mission for peace
ceases":

MHA / July 6, 2003

My historical mission for peace ceases. I shall continue for two more
months. I shall be patient. The rest will be decided by KADEK, the
people and Turkey. I do not give orders to anybody and I do not take
orders. It is not due to pressure but to my position. The rest depends
on them, I make this warning feeling responsibility; if they begin to
attack on people, there will neither tourism nor pipelines nor economy
to be left.

My historical mission for peace ceases. I shall continue for two more
months. I shall be patient. The rest will be decided by KADEK, the
people and Turkey. I do not give orders to anybody and I do not take
orders. It is not due to pressure but to my position. The rest depends
on them, I make this warning feeling responsibility; if they begin to
attack on people, there will neither tourism nor pipelines nor economy
to be left. Because it is the nature of wars to cause all of them. It
must be explained clearly to people. We want peace sincerely. It is the
wish of the Kurdish people. And I believe that the Turkish people want
it too. I call on the state to evaluate it highly. I have stopped PKK
but some circles want war insistently. The Turkish people must learn it.
Peace means getting rid of economic crisis. Peace means territorial
integrity. I sincerely hope that peace is established. But if war is
imposed, it is also more honor than capitulation and humiliation. My
death here would be an honorful dead. I have done my best for peace.
Dying is as valuable as living. The present process is of extreme
importance. There is more than fifty percent chance for peace. I hope
that peace will win.

I propose some laws and adjustments in the road map for peace and
democratic participation. They are also in accordance with the proposals
of KADEK's Presidential Council.

1- Constitutional and legal arrangements allowing Kurds to co-exist in
the Demorcatic Republic with their own identity;

2- Right to Kurdish education should be recognized and ban on the
Kurdish language and culture should be lifted; Kurdish TV should be
allowed and other broadcasting should enjoy their rights; the Kurdish
culture should be encouraged;

3- Return of refugees and exiles and those who are at the mountains;
amnesty for political prisoners and allowing them to participate in the
legal and democratic system:

4- Democratic and political rights should be recognized and ban on
freedom and thought and right to association should be lifted; laws on
elections and political parties should be democratized. Authority of the
local administrations should be increased and democracy should be
strengthened;

5- Right to return to village should be recognized and for it legal,
administrational and economic measures should be taken;

6- guard system and illegal gangs within the state organisation should
be abolished;

7- Democracy to be developed through these measures should be monitored
meticulously.

Committee for the road map for the European Union

I also propose two seperate committees for the road map. The first must
be like the committee in South Africa led by Desmond Tutu. It must be a
committee that must be studied completely and adopted to conditions in
Turkey. It is for peace, justice and brotherhood. Renowned figures,
intellectuals, writers and democratic people can participate in it. The
second one is the Committee for Democratic Solution that would assume
the role of a mediator for the resolution to the Kuirdish question. It
must meet with the sides directly and ensure disarmament on the grounds
of democratic solution. Intellectuals, representatives of
non-governmental organisations and political parties can participate in
it. Conference on Democratic Resolution to the Kurdish Question to be
held on July 5 and 6 can produce such a resolution (Ocalan's statement
was delivered prior to the conference-KO). Those who works for
democratic platforms can also be members of the committee. It should try
to prove itself, to meet with the government and CHP. It should crary
the case to the Eurepan Union and other international organisation and
try to get their support and help.

DEHAP's wish to be a mediator is important

DEHAP's wish to be a mediator is important. It must never give up it, it
must lead the efforts for above-mentioned mediation. It should make
campaigns for it. These coming two months are of extreme importance.
Everybody must put them into good use. Democratic forces in Turkey, in
special, have great responsibilities upon their shoulders.

If the state does not go along with the mediation and reconciliation, it
will be a historical irresponsibility. There is no clear and lasting
ceasefire. If they do not accept our proposals it will mean a denial and
destruction process: an exteremely dangerous process for every one.
Naturally they resist against it. I shall never say "Make war". My
preference is peace. I say common fatherland and peace. But destruction
and denial are imposed obstinately, they will decide accordingly, I say
everything clearly, lest the state, democratic organisation and our own
fellows do not say, our President said such and such. If there is
reconciliation and dialogue, there will be a reciprocal and more
guaranteed ceasefire. Peace and democratic solution may be developed. I
make the call to intellectials and other groups in Turkey, and everybody
must make the call. War must not be allowed.

The two committees should work interrelatedly. One investigates and
finds, if I may put it this way it makes theoritical studies, and the
other works practically, implements them. This road map for the solution
will be completed till 2005. I have said above, till this time people
from prisons and mountains will participate in the Democratic Republic.

Developing through stages is more healthy for the both sides. The
proposed road map can be used in other parts of Kurdistan. It can be
adopted to unique conditions of the part. And then it can be perceived
as a Common Democratic Road Map of Kurds.

Every kind of nationalism is dangerous. Kurdish nationalism, Arab
nationalism, Persian nationalism and Turkisn nationalism are tried to
set fighting. I propose the road map against all such dangers for all
Kurds. It can be arranged according to the peculiar conditions of every
part of Kurdistan. Even Arafat and Sharon made peace after such
bloodshed. Why not we? If there is a war there will be a big wreck. In
the point the point to be arrived at is here.

I make a call to the Turkish people as well. We feel responsibility not
only for the Kurdish people but also for the Turkish people. Peace is a
salvation for all of us. And I call out to the other countries: I say
Democratic Turkey Free Kurdistan, Deamocratic Iran Free Kurdistan,
Democratic Syria Free Kurdistan, Democratic Iraq Free Kurdistan; Free
Kurdistan Democratic Middle East.