Reporters Without Borders: pro-USA

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 08:44:01 MDT 2003

As has become obvious, the measures taken recently by the Cuban
government to defend the revolution have become a 'cause celebre' for
liberals worldwide. The other day I posted a response to the Committee
to Protect Journalists (CPJ), a group that had taken up this cause
despite the fact that its corporate funders (CNN, Bloomberg et al) are
among the world's biggest enemies of freedom of the press. The CPJ's
model only takes into account the kind of repression visited on
reporters in third world dictatorships typically. If CNN and the Murdoch
press can swamp the TV's and newsstands of that same country drowning
out the local competition, it would hardly raise an eyebrow in these
quarters.

You find the same exact mind-set at the Paris-based "Reporters Without
Borders" (Reporters Sans Frontières--RSF), a group that seems inspired
by "Doctors Without Borders", which also got started in France. You'll
recall that this group was very involved in pushing war against
Yugoslavia and that its director Bernard Kouchner was rewarded with the
post of colonial administrator in Kosovo.

If you go to the "Reporters Without Borders" (http://www.rsf.org/),
you'll discover a large graphic that announces that Cuba is "The World's
Biggest Prison", something that would be news to anybody who lives in
the USA, where 2 million people are behind bars--a rate 6 to 10 times
higher than any other industrialized nation. According to a report
issued by the British government (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/), the
USA has a prison population of 1,962,220 while Cuba's is about 33,000.
This translates into 686 prisoners per 100,000 in the USA and 297 per
100,000 in Cuba.

In keeping with a general softness on the world's biggest threat to
democracy, RSF also includes a map of the world on their home page with
colors ranging from pure as the driven snow white to shocking and sinful
red, with various shadings of pink in the middle. White signifies a
"good" situation, while red stands for a "serious" situation. It should
come as no surprise that the USA is pure white, while Cuba is the purest
red.

Venezuela is another country singled out for repression against
reporters by both the CPJ and RSF. Since they have no concept how
privately owned media can represent as much of a threat to the free flow
of information as government censorship, they take sides against Hugo
Chavez who was the target of a general strike fomented by the ruling
class and the newspapers and TV stations they own. Naomi Klein took them
to task in a February 18, 2003 Guardian article:

 >>During the recent strike organised by the oil industry, the stations
broadcast an average of 700 pro-strike advertisements every day. Chavez
has decided to go after the TV stations in earnest, with an
investigation into violations of broadcast standards and a new set of
regulations. "Don't be surprised if we start shutting down television
stations," he said in January.

The threat has sparked condemnations from the Committee to Protect
Journalists and Reporters Without Borders. And there is reason for
concern: the media war in Venezuela is bloody, with attacks on both pro-
and anti-Chavez media outlets. But attempts to regulate the media aren't
an "attack on press freedom", as CPJ claimed - quite the opposite.

Venezuela's media, including state TV, needs controls to ensure balance.
Some of Chavez's proposals overstep these bounds. But it is absurd to
treat Chavez as the principal threat to a free press. That honour goes
to the media owners. This has been lost on groups entrusted to defend
press freedom, still stuck in a paradigm in which all journalists want
to tell the truth and all threats come from nasty politicians and angry
mobs.<<

Every so often, the naked hostility of RSF to challenges against the
"free" corporate media is bared. In their 2003 Annual Report, they
fulminate against UN bids to address this problem:

 >>A new example of the spineless attitude of Western democracies
towards authoritarian regimes are preparations for the UN World Summit
on the Information Society. . .In fact, the idea of the information
society summit quietly harks back to what was known in the 1970s and the
1980s as the New World Information Order, when a rag-bag alliance of
communist regimes, African and Asian despots and Western Third-Worldist
intellectuals used the presence of an African at the head of UNESCO to
try to bring the flow of international news under the control of
governments, officially (of course) for the benefit of the people.  They
said the world's news was dominated by the corporate media of the
capitalist West and aimed to rein them in, leaving ordinary people in
ignorance. It reeked of the old totalitarian notion of the "supreme
guide" who knows better than you what's good for you. The whole
repressive concept led the United States and Britain to withdraw from
UNESCO. This was enough of a jolt to kill off the idea.<<

Can't you see the bitter resentment against 3rd world radicalism working
itself into a proper lather here? A rag-bag of communists and 3rd
Worldist intellectuals under the banner of UNESCO sought to challenge
the "corporate media of the capitalist West". What a totalitarian idea,
that CNN and the Murdoch press are inimical to the interests of people
struggling to free themselves from the domination of US imperialism and
its junior partners.

It might be useful to revisit this controversy. The US and Great Britain
pulled out of UNESCO for the same reason it is in Iraq today. This
should have been obvious to any student of the media, especially the
late Herbert Schiller whose "Culture Inc" was reviewed in the
July/August 1990 Multimedia Monitor when people like George Bush were
fulminating--like RSF--at the subversives in UNESCO:

 >>Cultural industries have both followed and fueled other corporate
drives to dominate world markets. Information industries circulate data
and capital around the world, allowing them to change the international
division of labor and to shift production sites worldwide. The cultural
industries have also expanded internationally for their own direct
material gain. Television networks pressure autonomous state-run
broadcasting systems across Europe and the Soviet Union to include
transnationally supplied broadcasting under threat of being bypassed
with satellite or other technology.

The United States actively assists this transnationalization. By
promoting privatization and deregulation, the United States works to
diminish or destroy the international public communications sector.
Schiller supplies a telling example: in 1985 the United States
unilaterally withdrew from the United Nations Educational, Scientific
Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The pullout followed a furious and,
Schiller shows, unjust campaign waged by the U.S. government in
cooperation with the U.S. media against UNESCO, which had promoted some
moderate proposals for a New International Information Order (NIIO). The
vague principles underlying the NIIO urged respect for nations' right to
control national culture and offered support for national public
broadcasting systems.

At stake was more than a heavy import of Anglo-American media material
by the rest of the world. Fundamental economic data are also transferred
internationally, ranging from travel reservation information to banking
and insurance transactions to engineering and architectural design.
These sorts of data transfers, combined with cultural flows, have
created a system dominated by multinational companies. "The essential
point is that an entire broadcast, information, and cultural system,
privately owned and managed, often helped by government policy but
mainly dependent on transnational advertising on behalf of corporate
sponsors (or corporate users in the case of electronic data flows), is
being set in place. When such a system is consolidated, the utility of
analyzing the effects of *one* program or medium is futile. The entire
social mechanism has been transformed into a corporate exhibit or
channel."<<

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org