(fwd from Rakesh Bhandari) reply to DMS on slavery

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 12:47:12 MDT 2003

Rakesh:
> Let's put aside Fogel's empirical investigation of the extent to
> which there wasa Southern lag in industrialization and the reasons
> for it (Charles Post seems to have written a criticism of Fogel--has
> anyone read it?), though I don't think it's a good idea for Marxists
> to opine on North American slavery without having read Fogel,
> Engerman, Genovese, Kolchin, and Bowman (like George Frederickson, I
> am especially impressed by Shearer Davis Bowman's Masters and Lords:
> Mid Nineteenth Century Planters and Prussian Lords).

JUNKERS: CAPITALIST OR FEUDAL?

Robert Brenner was often linked with Ernesto Laclau and Eugene Genovese
in the 1980s. Although not quite forming a school, the three were widely
regarded as upholding a classical tough-minded version of Marxism as
opposed to the sort of wooly-headed populism that marched under the
banner of "dependency theory". What they shared in common was a belief
that the "mode of production" was key. If the system did not revolve
around free labor and did not exhibit technological innovation driven by
the lash of competition, then it did not deserve the name of capitalism.
Social inequality was not sufficient.

(Of the three, Brenner is the only one who still has an affiliation with
Marxism. Laclau dumped Marxism for a version of post-Marxism called
"Radical Democracy" that he co-developed with Chantal Mouffe. It serves
as the ideological underpinning for much of the NGO-oriented experiments
in "civil society" in Latin American today. Genovese's evolution was
more extreme. He started out as a "primacy of class" Marxist with
hostility to black nationalism and feminism of the sort found in figures
like Todd Gitlin, but eventually broke with the radical movement
entirely. Today he is best described as a Roman Catholic southern
agrarian reactionary. All sharing a background in 1960s Marxism,
Genovese, David Horowitz and Ronald Radosh are among the most active and
impassioned enemies of the left in the USA today.)

With these connections in mind, it is interesting to turn to a paper
written by Shearer Davis Bowman in the Oct. '80 American Historical
Review titled "Antebellum Planters and Vormarz Junkers in Comparative
Perspective." To set the context for his comparison, Bowman cites
Genovese as arguing for "the genuine conservatism of the planters and
proslavery thought by insisting upon the 'precapitalist' character of
the Old South's 'paternalistic' master-slave relation and the consequent
'prebourgeois' outlook of antebellum planters--'the closest thing to
feudal lords imaginable in a nineteenth-century bourgeois republic.'"

By this criterion, the Junkers were just as 'prebourgeois.' The term
"Junker" is derived from the Middle High German "young nobleman" and
designates both the noble and nonnoble owners of legally privileged
estates (Rittengüter) in Prussia's six eastern provinces, the
breadbasket of modern Germany. Bowman identifies the similarities
between the slave-states and these provinces in terms of class relations:

"Although the legal and racial status of slaves on a plantation was
certainly quite different from that of the laborers on a Junker estate
(before as well as after the end of hereditary bondage in 1807), there
were significant parallels between the productive purposes to which
menials on plantations and Ritterguter were put and between the ways in
which they were governed. Each work force was subject to the personal,
nearly despotic, authority of the owner, and each worked to produce cash
crops for foreign and domestic markets. While Southern planters were
growing cotton or tobacco for shipment to Liverpool or New York, for
example, East Elbian Junkers were producing wheat or wool for shipment
to London or Berlin. At mid-century most plantations and Ritterguter
also achieved a high, cost-efficient level of self-sufficiency in basic
foodstuffs as well. The functional and structural analogies between the
plantation and the Rittergut are crucial to a comparative study of
planters and Junkers, because these estates and their work forces
constituted the foundations of their owners’ wealth, political
influence, social status, and, in many instances, even their self-esteem."

While Brenner makes a strict linkage between capitalist farmers
exploiting wage labor, Bowman points out that the Junkers were keen to
make improvements to their land where labor was anything but free.
Captain Carl von Wulffen-Pietzpuhl, writing in 1845, urged the creation
of model farms so that his fellow Junkers could explore "the advancement
of Prussia's practical agriculture". He declared that "the most
rational" farmer managed to use "land and soil most effectively" and
that the "most important aspect of rational agriculture" could be
"reduced to the art of producing the cheapest dung." (And this was over
a century in advance of the introduction of electronic mailing lists.)

The Junkers lord tended to have a view of himself as a kindly
paterfamilias attending to the welfare of his faithful people, just like
the American southern slave-owning class. While the slavocracy was able
to impose its rule through outright ownership, the German oppressors had
various labor codes--some extracted in the guise of "reforms" to keep
his subjects in line. The proper way to regard both systems is as a
mixture of economic control driven by the need for a capitalist gentry
to support its life-style through the mass production of agricultural
commodities, and political control based on forced labor. Reactionary
authoritarian beliefs wed to militarism did not prevent these ruling
class elites from extracting every bit of surplus from their properties
through a combination of technological innovation and forced labor.

So were they precapitalist or capitalist?

full: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/economics/brenner_thesis.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org