Labor and foreign policy (Defence white paper)

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jul 16 18:05:59 MDT 2003

Thanks for posting the Green Left link, Shane. On the military spending
issues, it seems to be in agreement with my article which, again, is here:
http://redsites.alphalink.com.au/militarism.htm

I see that Gregory Hywood in today's Melbourne Age reports a new study as
showing that although Treasury assumed defence would take about 2% of GDP
through the first half of the 21st century, even on current policies it's
likely to exceed 2.5%. He adds: "Take seriously the Government's aim in the
2000 Defence White Paper to 'provide our forces with a clear margin of
superiority against any credible adversary' and you are talking more in the
3-4% range."