Lesser-evilism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 17 14:34:58 MDT 2003

Nation Magazine, August 4, 2003
Antiwar Students Rock the Vote
by Liza Featherstone

Three years ago, Chantel Azadeh, 23, an antiwar activist at the
University of California, Irvine, would never have imagined herself
working on an electoral campaign. Ghafari, who belongs to an anarchist
group called People Organized against War, Empire and Rulers, wasn't
exactly the incremental-change type--and she certainly didn't see much
difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. But 2004 may be
different. "The last two years have done a number on a lot of people's
minds," she says. "You might be surprised to hear this from an
anti-authoritarian, an anarchist, but this election I plan on getting
involved. I think it's crucial that we get Bush out of the White House."

(clip)

Meanwhile, many antiwar students have already made their pick, with Dean
drawing the most campus enthusiasm. He may perform unevenly in national
polls, but students like his claim to represent "the democratic wing of
the Democratic Party" and compare him to Gene McCarthy, the antiwar
candidate in 1968.

full: http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030804&s=featherstone

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org