Lesser evilism

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Fri Jul 18 00:44:40 MDT 2003

Good post, Charles. Just had a thought, and restyled the lyrics of "Nadine"
by Chuckberry (whom I have seen perform live), as follows:

(As I got on a city bus, and found a vacant seat,
I thought I saw my future bride walking up the street,
I shouted to the driver, hey conductor, you must, slow down
I'm thinking that I see her, pleez let me off this bus !

NayDean, honey is that you?
Oh, NayDean. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you, darlin' you got something else to do...

I saw her from the corner, when she turned and doubled back,
And started walkin' toward, a reddish colored cadillac -
I was pushin' through the crowd, to get to where she's at;
And I was campaign-shouting, like a sudden diplomat...

NayDean, honey is that you?
Oh, NayDean. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you, darlin' you got something else to do...

Downtown searching for her, lookin' all around;
Saw her gettin' in a yellow cab, heading up town.
I caught a loaded taxi, paid up everybody's tab -
With a twenty dollar bill, told him "catch that yellow cab."

NayDean, honey is that you?
Oh, NayDean. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you, darlin' you got something else to do...

She move around, like a wave of summer breeze,
go, driver, go, go, catch her balmy breeze !
Moving through the traffic, like a mounted cavalier,
Leaning out the taxi window, trying to make her hear:

NayDean, honey is that you?
Oh, NayDean. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you, darlin' you got something else to do...)

Out of curiosity, I just checked through this newagey book by Constantin
Virgil Negotia, called Post-Modern Logic, and realised what was wrong with
our discussion about dialectics. It isn't actually a very good book, the
best part is really the quote at the front by Umberto Eco: "The Postmodern
reply to the modern consists of recognizing that the past, since it cannot
really be destroyed, because its destruction leads to silence, must be
revisited: but with irony, not innocently". Which was really justabout all
you needed to read.

See further http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/1992/43/43p22b.htm

Cheers

J.