Nationalism (was Arguing against Imperialism and Militarism) - reply to Tom O'Lincoln (final)

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 07:51:21 MDT 2003

The sticking point of all these discussions seems to be less how we
should address "nationalism" than what "nationalism" means to those
using the term. While history provides interesting cases, it's important
to raise questions about what this means in the present.

More often than not, when I hear the designated spokespeople of the
African-American community use "self-determination" nowadays, it is in
the sense of individuals' gaining an opportunity to determine their own
futures.  When I've used the term, I find that others tend to understand
it this way. It may well be that--beyond Marxist
circles--"self-deermination" has largely experienced an embourgeoisment
of meaning.

Certainly, the formulation that nationalism and national
self-determination meant supporting "everything up to and including"
national autonomy tends, in this context, the translate these ideas into
the most minimal kinds of reforms.

Solidarity!
Mark L.