Pentagon retaliates against GI's

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 18 11:06:52 MDT 2003

Pentagon retaliates against GIs who spoke out on TV

Robert Collier, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, July 18, 2003

Fallujah, Iraq -- Morale is dipping pretty low among U.S. soldiers as
they stew in Iraq's broiling heat, get shot at by an increasingly
hostile population and get repeated orders to extend their tours of
duty.

Ask any grunt standing guard on a 115-degree day what he or she thinks
of the open-ended Iraq occupation, and you'll get an earful of colorful
complaints.

But going public isn't always easy, as soldiers of the Army's Second
Brigade, Third Infantry Division found out after "Good Morning America"
aired their complaints.
The retaliation from Washington was swift.

[...]

CAREERS OVER FOR SOME

"It was the end of the world," said one officer Thursday. "It went all
the way up to President Bush and back down again on top of us. At least
six of us here will lose our careers."

[...]

In Baghdad, average soldiers from other Army brigades are eager to spill
similar complaints.

"I'm not sure people in Washington really know what it's like here,"
said Corp. Todd Burchard as he stood on a street corner, sweating
profusely and looking bored. "We'll keep doing our jobs as best as
anyone can, but we shouldn't have to still be here in the first place."

Nearby, Pfc. Jason Ring stood next to his Humvee. "We liberated Iraq.
Now the people here don't want us here, and guess what? We don't want to
be here either," he said. "So why are we still here? Why don't they
bring us home?"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/07/18/MN248299.
DTL