David Kelly and the British political crisis

Richard Harris rhh1 at gotadsl.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 18:37:32 MDT 2003

> LONGWORTH, England (Reuters) - British police found a body Friday matching
> that of a mild-mannered scientist who disappeared after unwittingly
becoming
> embroiled in a furious political dispute about the Iraq war.
>
> The softly spoken 59-year-old had been thrust into the limelight by a row
> over whether the British government hyped the threat from Iraq in order to
> justify joining the U.S.-led war.
>
> The political fallout was almost immediate. Prime Minister Tony Blair's
> government promised an independent judicial inquiry into events leading up
> to the death of Dr David Kelly, if it is confirmed.

Blair is really on the ropes at the moment.  His future is daily in
question.  His men a re thrashing around viciously, blaming primarily the
BBC for accusing them of distorting intelligence (a non-issue if there ever
was one.)

To my mind, we have a real problem in the UK because the Stop the War
Campaign has just disappeared.  Sources such as the Weekly Worker claim this
is because they are trying to work with the Mosque.  I don't know.  I do
know that in the '70s and '80s, days of CP dominated campaigns, there would
have been street protests everywhere.

UK comrades, how can we get moving?

Richard
Canterbury, UK.