clarification

dms dmschanoes at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 12:03:49 MDT 2003

I request the readers' indulgence to clarify some remarks in the discussion
with JB.

Terms like "shot in the head" "kicks to the head" have a visceral impact on
me and I would imagine others.  No matter how heated the argument, no matter
how offensive I find someone's position, I really try to refrain from
anything that my be construed as physical threats, because anything so
constructed will provoke a desire for a physical response. At least that's
how I react, based on my own experience.

Now perhaps JB meant his phrases as metaphors for his debating positions,
but I think all should realize that some metaphors will provoke responses
and consequences not desired by any party.

pacifically yours,
dms