Military Families Speak Out: Campaign to Bring the Troops Home Now

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 20 00:19:32 MDT 2003

I received the following campaign announcement from Jeff McKenzie of
Military Families Speak Out <http://www.mfso.org/>.  The MFSO
campaign to Bring the Troops Home looks great!  Please start taking
the actions recommended below and get any organization in which you
are involved to do the same ASAP:

*****   Dear Military Families:

Many of you have written, asking for MFSO to take action in response
to the ongoing deployment of our troops in Iraq, the horrible
conditions that our troops are facing, the lies that were used to
justify the invasion and George Bush's outrageous taunt to those
shooting at our family members -- "Bring em On!"

We wanted to let you know that, in conjunction with Veterans for
Peace, Vietnam Veterans Against the War and others, we are about to
launch a new campaign to "Bring Them Home Now!!!" We will have a
campaign website up in the very near future and will be doing active
outreach around the country.

While there will be organized activities, both nationally and
locally, as part of this campaign there are several things that we
all can do starting right now:

o Write letters to your politicians demanding that our troops be brought home

o Organize meetings with U.S. Representatives and Senators while they
are in their districts during the summer break.

o Attend public events where Members of Congress and other
politicians will be appearing (particularly those who voted for the
October Resolution giving the President the right to go to war and
who have not actively called for our troops to be brought home now).
Be visible and speak out at these forums. Use your special voice as
Military Families to demand action. Carry signs and posters with
pictures of your loved ones in the military.

o Seek opportunities to speak to the media and get our message out as
broadly as possible.

o Write letters to the editor of your local papers, talking about
conditions faced by our troops in Iraq and calling for the troops to
be brought home now.

o Organize and participate in public demonstrations and standouts in
front of federal buildings, congressional offices, etc. demanding the
return of our troops.

o Talk to other military families. Encourage them to get in touch
with us, join MFSO and tell us their stories.

Please send us reports on your activities and copies of any letters
to the editor, letters to Members of Congress, newspaper articles
etc. We would like to put this information on our website.

We will be back in touch as soon as the new website is up and active.
In the meantime, if you have ideas to add to the list above, please
send them in to mfso at mfso.org and we will share them around.

In Peace and Solidarity,
Nancy Lessin, Jeffrey McKenzie and Charley Richardson,
for Military Families Speak Out   *****
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: