Is Blair going to escape??

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jul 21 19:06:03 MDT 2003

Blair might not escape, but John Howard will. Today's Australian has a
Newspoll showing a higher proportion of Australians think they were misled
over the war than British or Americans, but Howard's standing has gone up.
I think the explanation is simple enough:

a) no Australian casualities in Iraq except a cameraman, and no significant
involvement in the post-May 1st occupation.
b) one of the strongest economies in the OECD.

As I suspected, there is a flurry of interest in the scandal about lies
over the war, but it only affects a minority of the middle class,
intellectuals, students, activists etc. Which however can still be
important for the left.