Is Blair going to escape??

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Mon Jul 21 23:44:07 MDT 2003

At 11:06 AM 22/07/2003 +1000, Tom wrote:
>Blair might not escape, but John Howard will. Today's Australian has a
>Newspoll showing a higher proportion of Australians think they were misled
>over the war than British or Americans, but Howard's standing has gone up.
>I think the explanation is simple enough:

Yes I saw that as I walked to work.  Thoroughly depressing, is it not?

Could convert one to a Nietzschean type of elitism very easily.

Nevertheless, Howard would be damaged if Blair became a casualty.  The
coverage of "Iraq as a swamp" is just beginning to penetrate popular
consciousness.  I think Lou pointed out that this is happening much more
rapidly than during the Vietnam War.  However these are the days of instant
globalisation, as Hobsbawm mentioned recently with reference to the
lightning impact of SARS.

So things look good for Howard now, but some of the sheen could come off.
In any case they (USA, Britain, Oz) are finding the next war a bit
difficult to get under way.

regards

Gary