Oct. 4: Alliance of Radical Academic/Intellectual Organizations (NYC)

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 05:29:22 MDT 2003

I'm skeptical about the purpose and value of any "Alliance of Radical
Academic/Intellectual Organizations."

These things sound like good ideas, but...
* Any organization restricted in such a way is arguably inherently
elitist.
* The record is that such groups become mechanisms for replicating
academic hierarchies that prevail in the wider world of higher
education.  (the radical historians' groups are those with which I'm
most familiar).
* They invariably resist the centrifugal forces acting on them by
creating some new damned dogmatism as "the" "radical" fad in competition
with the general academic fashion shows.

Finally, what do we gain by such an organization?  What positive things
can a group accomplish that individuals with these goals and values
can't do just as well...if not better...without a group.

Solidarity!
Mark Lause