'Bush has lost respect of soldiers'

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Jul 22 11:18:59 MDT 2003

Les Schaffer asked:

> > "My son is in the U.S.Army and currently stationed in Baghdad. I
> > hear from him every three or four days.
>
> i wonder if the general's are having a problem with the internet. i
> imagine in Vietnam the frequency of communication was much lower.
>
> does anyone know how the modern GI gets his/her world news,
> battlefield news, and home communication?

From:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring03/Berringer/Securityriskpage.htm
(obviously written before May 1)

Correspondence from the Front:
The Changing Ways American Soldiers Write Home
[...]
Since the war began in Iraq on March 19, military mail processing centers
such as Fort Dix have received more that 2,400 pieces of mail each day.
[...]
For soldiers fighting in Iraq, the standard delivery delay is 14 days, which
in many cases means that troop movement is outpacing their mail. It is
likely that servicemen and women will only be able to receive letters once
the war ends.
E-mail use prompts its own unique security risks as well. Though military
officials believe that the instantaneous interaction e-mail provides to
soldiers in remote locations helps to improve morale in the field and at
home, many worry that there could be inadvertent leaks of sensitive
information from the battlefield.
The Air Force, Navy and Army have all stated that they are looking into
limiting or monitoring e-mail traffic from certain locations. Soldiers in
all branches have been instructed not to send certain types of information
over the Internet, but policies on Internet access are generally left up to
division and unit commanders.
[...]
The main concern that computer and military experts worry about is that
Iraqi forces might accidentally obtain messages sent home by soldiers, or
that outsiders might view pictures published to a publicly accessible Web
site.

>From the same site at:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring03/Berringer/Moderncommpage.htm
[...]
Perhaps, the most noteworthy advance in battlefield communications has come
with the popularization of e-mail correspondence between soldiers and family
members. E-mail allows soldiers a quick and direct way to contact loved ones
at any hour of the day.
All branches of the military offer some sort of e-mail access to servicemen
and women. In larger, more established camps, particularly near cities,
soldiers have access to high-speed connections. But in smaller outposts,
like in Khost, an impoverished village on the border of Pakistan and
Afghanistan, the Internet connections are made through satellite link-ups,
and may be limited to a very few computers.
During actual armed conflict however, the military has stated that e-mail
services would be largely used for operational purposes and that soldiers in
the midst of action would not have time to be sending e-mails.
[...]

See the links page as well:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring03/Berringer/Bibliographypage.htm