Dr David Kelly and Blair's endgame?

Owen Jones o.p.jones at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 22 20:39:32 MDT 2003

On 23/7/03 01:06, "Richard Harris" <rhh1 at gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:

> It's an easy way
> to create a suicide, thought (I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist ~
> it all seems very odd, & who is going to investigate the case, I wonder?

 I'm not entirely comfortable with peddling a conspiracy theory either, but
there are a few other questions to be raised. On the day of his death, he
composed emails to the New York Times warning of "dark actors playing a
game", which the newspaper interpreted as the MoD and the intelligence
services; he stated that he was waiting till the end of the week to see how
his Committee performance had gone; furthermore, he declared to a colleague
that he was looking forward to returning to Iraq; as well as asking queries
to do with his work, etc. Also what puzzles is me is why he failed to leave
any sort of suicide note? Surely just a basic explanation to or expression
of love for his family could have been expected. Instead he just told his
wife of all those years that he was going for a walk and never came back.
Indeed, Mrs Kelly reported that she had had no indication that he was
suicidal. It is also bizarre that he cheerfully smiled and greeted a local
acquaintance while walking to the spot where he planned to plunge a penknife
into his wrist and slowly bleed to death. And wouldn't gradually dying in
the open pose the risk of being stumbled on by a passer-by?

 In truth, is hugely doubtful that Blair or someone at the top of the New
Labour clique would have ordered his assassination. However, it would only
need a section of the intelligence establishment believing itself to be
acting on the government's behalf to organise this. It is not beyond the
capabilities of these dark, murky people; they did collaborate with the
loyalist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland for decades in the
assassinations of dozens, for example.

 In the short-term, Blair will survive. His propagandists are extremely
clever people indeed, and at the moment much of the blame has been deflected
on to the BBC. Clearly we *desperately* want his scalp here - since the Iraq
war, which polarised this country in a way unseen since Thatcher, he has
become utterly detested by a large section of the population. However, as
has been the case since he became Labour leader, in the absence of any real
progressive movement, the position of considerable swathes of the working
class has been that the alternative is a lot, lot worse. Entire
working-class communities were devastated by eighteen years of the Tory
government, and thus the prospect of the Conservative party returning
strikes real genuine fear in the hearts and minds of millions. This should
not be dismissed as hyperbole; it is crucial in understanding why, without
any real leftwing alternative, Blairism has proved as successful as it has,
despite continuing the quarter-century-old offensive against the labour
movement. However, despite the temporary breathing space he has gained, the
disillusionment of both the working- and middle-classes with Blairism runs
deep. Blair will cling on for months, but I believe he is fatally wounded,
in the same way Thatcher was by the movement against the poll tax. He is
popularly regarded as the puppet of Bush; and Bush - like everywhere else in
the world - causes overwhelming revulsion here. Indeed, even though the fall
of Blair will be hugely significant here in Britain, I believe it will be
most important in terms of being a blow for the Bush regime. When that
falls, I confidently predict that there will be dancing on the streets of
every continent.

 Owen