FW: Call for a United Fall Antiwar Action by Bay Area United Against War

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Wed Jul 23 05:49:02 MDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: caroseligman at aol.com [mailto:caroseligman at aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:30 AM
To: [deleted]
Cc: [deleted]
Subject: Call for a United Fall Antiwar Action by Bay Area United
Against War

Bay Area United Against War supports the call for
a united date for antiwar action in this fall

An open letter to UFP&J, Northeast Ohio Antiwar Coalition, A.N.S.W.E.R.,
Win
Without War, US Labor Against War, Not In Our Name, National Student and
Youth
Peace Coalition and all other antiwar organizations.

To effectively counter U.S. military aggression around the world we must

organize our movement based on unity, solidarity and democracy. Our goal
must be
to get as many people as possible in the streets on one date to call for
an end
to occupation, to bring the troops home now! We need to again mobilize
masses
of people in the streets to show that the people of the world still say
NO to
war!

The war continues in Iraq as more Iraqis and American troops are killed.
The
U.S. military "victory" is being exposed for what it really is — a
brutal
military occupation. The people of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine are
all
suffering under U.S.—or U.S.-financed— occupation. The purpose of U.S.
policy of
war and occupation is to protect corporate interests.

Our tax dollars are being robbed from our needs for schools, housing,
healthcare, and a clean environment, to pay for U.S. military build-up
in over one
hundred countries around the world.

Armed with the most powerful weapons of mass destruction, the U.S.
government
is attacking us at home, too. Thousands have been rounded up and
deported or
held without rights or representation in the name of "Homeland
Security."
Congress is poised to further attack our civil liberties with Patriot
Act II—which
gives the government and police even more power to dispense with our
rights.

We support all the ongoing antiwar actions and organization including
the
international Sept. 27th demonstrations, the A.N.S.W.E.R.-initiated
Sept. 28th
actions, and the USLAW conference scheduled for October 25th. But we
think that
there is an urgent need to mobilize all antiwar people on a single date,
and
Oct. 25th seems to be the date that already has momentum (with
A.N.S.W.E.R.'s
call and willingness to unite with others on that date).

We need to include all organizations and individuals—national, local and

international—who want to organize around this date, in the planning and

democratic decision-making process. We need to expand our leadership
committees to
include as many representatives from as many groups or geographic areas
as
possible. We must include grass roots local groups from all over the
country into one
democratic, organizing campaign around one unified date of action
throughout
the world.

End the occupation!  Bring the troops home now!  U.S. out of the Middle
East!
Defend civil liberties and human rights! Fund human needs, not
occupation, of
Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine!

Bay Area United Against War
(Statement approved at July 22, 2003 meeting)