Race/ OFFLIST

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Jul 24 07:58:50 MDT 2003

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:55:39 -0400
From: "David Quarter" <davidquarter at sympatico.ca>

-clip-

> By the way, I am as much White as Blackfoot and vice versa (my father was
> white) if one defines Indianness by blood-quantum which I and most Indians
> do not.

 I don't. If that were the case, I would also self-identify as white
since I'm technically a quarter african Aruban. Yet, since my mom
identifies as black, I identify as "mixed" ( race). Neverthless, you
seem to be saying one thing for yourself and applying a different
set of standards to "whites".

^^^^^^^

CB: Now I see where David is coming from. At first, I was thinking who fuck
is this guy on this list talking about race doesn't mean anything. But being
of mixed race is a difficult space to be in, because one is caught between
the conflicting worlds of whites and coloreds. Is "Quarter" a pseudonym ?

As Coleman Young said, "(white) racism do exist ", including in academe and
on the left.