Reporters Without Borders nailed

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 24 07:12:03 MDT 2003

REPORTERS WITHOUT FRONTIERS

Bob Menard flies off the handle

• THE maniac guru of press freedom won’t accept the suggestion that his
Freedom House buddies get their budget from the same sources that
direct, finance and oversee his obsessive campaign against Cuba

• Threatens an interviewer • His obsession with Cuba completely matches
his CIA profile

BY JEAN-GUY ALLARD —Special for Granma International—

IT seems that Robert “Bob” Menard, secretary general for life of
Reporters Without Frontiers can’t bear any criticism of whose who
provide the covert part of his finances. The maniac guru of “press
freedom” (the neoliberal kind) recently flew of the handle when, in the
course of an interview, a university researcher pointed out that the
U.S. organization Freedom House, an acknowledged CIA associate, had
distributed $775,000 USD to independent journalists feeding the networks
with anti-Cuban disinformation from outside the island.

“I read in that great newspaper Granma that I’m a CIA agent,” Menard
commented ironically, referring to an article entitled “Menard, CIA
agent and liar without frontiers” published in Granma International.

Researching the theme of the Cuban-American community in the United
Sates, Salim Lamrani questioned him about certain covert actions carried
out by Frank Calzón, a CIA agent of Cuban origin who directs Freedom
House’s anti-Cuba operations.

The interview, which took place in the framework of a comprehensive
academic work entitled “The Cuban Lobby in the United States from 1959
to the Present Day” was published in French on the Cuba Solidarity
Project web site.

“They’re liars!” shouted Menard, well known for his explosive
temperament and inability to accept other opinions. “You’re wrong. You
don’t know what this is about, so you’d better be careful!”

Having apparently lost his self-control, the self-proclaimed RWF
secretary general threatened (“you can’t say such things!”) in order to
later launch an incomprehensible tirade. “I defend them
because...they’re people that I don’t agree with...and because I don’t
agree with them I can’t accept what they say about these slanderous
things. That’s slander...Who lets them say such things?

Mr. Shuchman, the president of Freedom House, is a respectable man, very
devoted to human rights,” reproached Menard, prior to making a strange
apology for an organization as much identified with the CIA as the
Eiffel Tower is with Paris.

“Freedom House are people who’ve been fighting for the freedom of the
whole world for many years. Read their latest report! Have you read it?”
an unleashed Menard burst out.

full: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2003/julio/mier23/29menar-i.html

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org