Once (or twice) more on political strategy

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:24:26 MDT 2003

Two very thoughtful (definitely non-Marxist) articles on the subject of the
Greens, the Democrats, and the 2004 election.

Green Party Taking the Plunge for 2004
by Norman Solomon

Excerpt:
A small party that is unwilling to pick and choose its battles --  and
unable to consider the effects of its campaigns on the country as a whole --
will find itself glued to the periphery of American politics.

In contrast, more effective progressives seeking fundamental change are
inclined to keep exploring -- and learning from -- the differences between
principle and self-marginalization. They bypass insular rhetoric and tactics
that drive gratuitous wedges between potential allies -- especially when a
united front is needed to topple an extreme far-right regime in Washington.

Full: http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0724-09.htm

Open Letter to Nader Voters and the Greens
by Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich

Excerpt:

Following a long list of issues on which "we stand together"...

I am a Democrat, but I understand that Greens and Nader voters are not  just
liberal Democrats. Still, I note that in Europe, even when  political
parties disagree on issues, they are often able to work  together with each
other in coalition. I'd like to raise that  possibility again today. And I
note that Ralph Nader has suggested that  my candidacy is worth supporting.

We all know we will do better if we work together. Perhaps we can find
common ground on issues and principles. I would like to open up that
possibility. And I would like to ask that you give serious consideration  to
my candidacy for President. Because a better world is still possible.

Full: http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0724-08.htm