Zapatista Communique: changes announced - july 19

Pieinsky pieinsky at igc.org
Fri Jul 25 20:26:48 MDT 2003

Originally published in Spanish by the CCRI-CG of the EZLN
and the Rebel Zapatista Autonomous Municipalities of Chiapas
***************************
Translated by irlandesa

July 19, 2003.

To the People of Mexico:

To the Peoples of the World:

Brothers and Sisters:

This is our word:

FIRST. - The globalization of power has demonstrated throughout the
world that
it has entered its most aggressive stage by making military war its primary
weapon of domination. Nonetheless, the attack against the people of Iraq not
only bore witness to globalization's true destructive nature, but it also
provoked the greatest worldwide condemnation in the history of humanity.
Despite the fallen statues, worldwide resistance and rebellion have been
maintained and are growing. The zapatista rebellion is just one small part
of
the great demonstration of human dignity throughout the planet.

SECOND. - In our country, the Mexican political class (which includes all
registered political parties and the three branches of the Union) betrayed
the
hope of millions of Mexicans, and of thousands of persons from other
countries,
of seeing the rights and culture of the Indian peoples of Mexico
constitutionally recognized. A short time ago, Mexican politicians,
completely
distanced from reality, gave an excellent demonstration of their unlimited
capacity for the ridiculous, by holding one of the most comical election
campaigns in Mexican history. The high absenteeism in the July 6
elections was
a popular reaction which they are still refusing to recognize.

THIRD. - In response to all of this, the EZLN has decided to
completely suspend
any contact with the Mexican federal government and the political parties,
and
the zapatista peoples have reaffirmed that resistance is their
primary means of
struggle. In both communiqués which were released by members of the CCRI-CG
of
the EZLN this January 1 in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, we
zapatistas
reiterated our status as rebels. We also announced that, despite
the stupidity
and blindness of Mexican politicians, the so-called "San Andres Accords on
Indigenous Rights and Culture" (signed by the federal government and
the EZLN on
February 16, 1996 and expressed in the so-called "Cocopa Law") will
be put into
practice in rebel territories.

FOURTH. - On that occasion, we zapatistas also reiterated our right
to express
solidarity with the just struggles of the people of Mexico and of the world.
This was in response to those who demanded that we limit ourselves to the
indigenous issue in Mexico. We expressed our support, at the world level,
for
Venezuelan sovereignty, for the people of Iraq and for all those struggles
in
resistance against the power of money. We expressed our support in Mexico
for
those primarily indigenous brothers and sisters who are resisting
throughout the
country.

FIFTH. - Over these last few months, the indigenous zapatista peoples and
rebels organized in the EZLN have prepared a series of changes,
which have to do
with their internal functioning and their relationship with national and
international civil society, and they are ready to make them public.

SIXTH. - In order to announce and explain these changes, 30 zapatista
Autonomous Municipalities have asked the CCRI-CG of the EZLN to have
Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos carry out, in addition to his work as
spokesperson of the EZLN, the duties of spokesperson for the Autonomous
Municipalities, although just temporarily. In accordance with this, today
and
in the coming days, both documents will be made public, signed by
Subcomandante
Insurgente Marcos in the name of the CCRI-CG of the EZLN and of the Rebel
Zapatista Autonomous Municipalities.

SEVENTH. - To those brothers and sisters, in Mexico and throughout the
world,
who have had relationships regarding projects or correspondence with the
rebel
zapatista Autonomous Municipalities, and to those, in Mexico and
throughout the
world, who have addressed the EZLN to request our word and/or participation
in
different international initiatives against the globalization of power, we
are
asking for your patience and understanding. Until such time as these changes
are announced and have become operative, we shall not be able to give them
the
attention they deserve.

That is all...for now.

Democracy!
Liberty!
Justice!

By the Clandestine Revolutionary Indigenous Committee -
Comandancia General of the
Zapatista Army of National Liberation.

By the Rebel Zapatista Autonomous Municipalities of Chiapas.

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos

Mexico, July of 2003.