Fisk the Barbarian

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Jul 26 19:10:41 MDT 2003

At 08:13  26/07/03 -0400, you wrote:
>  i'd like to see what others might have to say on fisk and other
> so-called "critical" or "independent" western writers and how the left
> should view or relate to them.
>
>xzy

I thought Vladim went too far in his critique of Fisk, but wouldn't worry
overly about that.  For me Fisk embodies the contradictions of
liberalism.  But there is a good with the bad there.  He has done a very
good job publicising the fate of the Palestinians, for instance.  Witness
John Malkovich's death threat against him.

Moreover I think the point he may (!) have been pushing towards is a
correct one.  Namely that in death the sons of Saddam, may be more useful
to the revolution than they ever were in life.  It is that kind of near
dialectical thinking, that Fisk as the outsider approaches but never quite
achieves IMHO.

regards

Gary