W. H. Auden on dialectical materialism

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Jul 26 19:32:48 MDT 2003

The words of a dead man
are modified in the guts of the living.

W.H.Auden, "In memory of W.B. Yeats"

Hope the "Subj." line was catchy enough.

But, actually, Auden was right. Not even words are outside history.

On a previous mail, I used the phrase "dialectical materialism", as
against "historic materialism", in exactly the opposite way that
these two words have finally came to be filled of a deterministic,
bureaucratist and in the end anti-democratic sense. I resorted to the
phrase meaning a philosophical position where there was no one-sided
determinism from the realm of crude matter into the realm of spirit,
where structure and super-structure determine themselves more or less
in the way the foundations and the structure of an anti-seismic
building do, as a whole contradictory unit.

But the phrase, too, has its history, and the words of dead men are
modified in the guts of the living.

So that OK, I don't give for words more than what they are worth. So
that in my previous posting where I tried to define Marxism without a
personal reference to Marx you may, if you wish, substitute
"philosophy of praxis" for "dialectical materialism".

Hugs to all

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822