From the soldiers of the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jul 26 22:55:12 MDT 2003

FROM THE SOLDIERS OF THE 2ND BRIGADE, 3RD INFANTRY DIVISION

To Whom It May Concern:

When you hear about heroes, you think of people whom you would envy.
None of us asked to be called heroes, or anything else. For the past 9
months we have lived a hard life. We trained for nearly 6 months
before
the war started, were the first U.S. forces into Iraq on March 20th,
and
were responsible for the daring strike into Baghdad on April 7th and
8th
that virtually ended the war. We are the forgotten and betrayed
soldiers
of 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, also known as the "Send Me"
Brigade. Our Task Force motto is "Can Do" and we have been living true
to those words for a very long time. We are also the unit that is
sitting in the city of Al Fallujah, as we enter the month of July.

Our men and women have completed every mission we have been given,
even
when that mission kept us from coming home on time. We have received
the
occasional newspaper, each one showing us that the rest of the armed
forces are returning home; even as we are getting orders for our next
mission. We also read the letters that our Commanding General (MG
Buford
Blount) writes in our local newspaper. Each time we read his words our
desperation grows deeper, because we know that most of our countrymen
are hearing his lies about our situation here.

Our morale is not high or even low. Our morale is non-existent. We
have
been told twice that we were going home, and twice we have received a
stop movement to stay in Iraq. Where is the honor and integrity the
army
preaches to soldiers in Basic Training? The closer you get to the
front
lines, the worse the soldiers get treated. Every single one of my men
has diarrhea, because none of us on the front lines have had a single
fresh vegetable in over a month. Meanwhile MG Blount and his cronies
are
enjoying Burger King at Baghdad International Airport (which we
captured). The 3rd Infantry Division soldiers feel betrayed, and
forgotten. Many of our brothers in arms have paid the ultimate price
help liberate this country. Every one of us has made sacrifices, and
what is our reward? Being treated like farm animals. We have had more
support from the press, who were embedded with us throughout the
fight,
than we have ever received from our chain of command.

Our troops, and our equipment are worn out. Many of our troops have
been
through some truly terrible experiences; They have been told by mental
health professionals that they need to get out of this environment. MG
Blount, and LTG Sanchez (the V Corps Commander) however, either don't
care about those of us out here on the front lines or they have been
lied to by their subordinates and have passed those lies on to the
rest
of the world.

In closing, all I am really trying to ask for is your help. Please
send
this letter on to your representatives in congress and to your local
media, and ask them to get the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division
home.
Our men and women deserve to be treated like the heroes they are, not
like neighborhood mongrels. Our men and women deserve to see their
loved
ones again and deserve to come home. Thank you for your attention,

Sincerely,
The Soldiers of 2nd Brigade, 3rd ID.

.