Dialectical Materialism - brief reply to Mark Lause and David Quarter

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Jul 27 11:09:56 MDT 2003

Jurriaan,

Since Marx wrote in German, I'm doubtful that he ever wrote about "the
materialist conception of history," "the materialist approach to
history," "the materialist outlook on history" either.  I'm not sure,
but it seems likely that those who sought to translate his meaning into
English found "historical materialism" a more legitimate translation of
"materialist concept of history" than "dialectical materialism."

Solidarity!
Mark L.