Helping wounded Marines returning from Iraq: "we want to thank each person and corporation that has contributed to this effort"

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Jul 27 15:20:25 MDT 2003

Just to show that there's different ways of supporting workers in uniform,
and that the issue must be handled thoughtfully, here's an insightful clip
from "USA in Review", dated April 1, 2003 (April Fool's Day).

An Open Letter to Supporters Concerning Our First Visit to the Wounded at
Bethesda

(...) Our first distribution of gift bags to the wounded returned to
National
Naval Medical Center, Bethesda during the past few days was both a
successful and rewarding experience. (...) We want to thank each person and
corporation that has contributed to this effort thus far, and to earnestly
solicit your continued support for as long as these brave young military
persons return under the current conditions from the Middle East. (...)
Below is some helpful information for those desiring to help Marine Spouses
Effort Supporting Marines/Corpsmen WIA returning to NNMC Bethesda (...)
Our group is neither involved in, nor the appropriate source for questions
on,
visiting the wounded Marines and sailors. Such visits require great thought
and significant coordination to be successfully completed. (...)
Corporate/government contractors or businesses doing business with the
government: please ensure that your donations comply with federal ethics
standards. Do NOT provide items that would, if accepted by these young
people, cause them to violate Standards of Conduct. DO THE HOMEWORK
PRIOR TO MAKING THE DONATION. Make it easy for THEM and
don't put the Spouses into the position of getting the WIA in the middle.
They have enough going on in their lives and have no idea about such things.
Thanks!

Source: http://www.usainreview.com/Helping_Wounded_Marines.htm