deception = wallpaper

Ben Halligan B.Halligan at yorksj.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 08:13:54 MDT 2003

Remember the London Evening Standard's doctored photo of crowds
celebrating Iraq's "liberation"?

(http://www.thememoryhole.org/media/evening-standard-crowd.htm).

in the Thursday edition, tucked away on page 18, was this small item:

Iraqi liberation picture

A number of readers have expressed concern that our front page picture
on 9
April, showing Iraqis celebrating the liberation of Baghdad, had been
enhanced to depict a larger crowd than actually existed. As it was taken
from TV footage, extra people were added to the image to fill the space
left
by the removal of logos from the picture. In our opinion this did not
alter
the clarity of truth of the picture's message but we are happy to make
this
clear.