Les Schaffer proposal

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Mon Jul 28 17:48:17 MDT 2003

Xenon wrote:

> that factor [threading] would put me in favor of a message board
> system, but dunno if such an advantage outweighs other
> considerations in such a transition.

Lou and I haven't been looking at message board systems, instead we've
discussed alternative email list software.

If we convinced Lou to go with a message board system we would:

  -- need to ensure that people who desire can read and contribute as
  they do now, via email.

  -- need to ensure passwd protection (i assume this is possible)

i think tho that we'd be better off sticking with an elist, and ask
participants to handle Subject lines more effectively. am not sure
message board really solves this problem completely, since it would
not prevent straying from the topic of the Subject line.

> keeping track of threads is my main issue - when the subject line
> gets changed by an author my email client will have a tough time
> keeping a thread together (if at all).

i guess it happens that someone changes a Subject line since they
think the topic has strayed, but in fact their post relates to some

i have to look to see how the archives are threaded, whether it goes
only by Subject line or whether it inspects other headers. i think its
pretty smart, for example, Mark Lause changed the Subject line from
"Re: Dialectical Materialism" to "Joseph Dietzgen", but mhonarc was
clever enough to know it was the same thread.

les schaffer