Les Schaffer proposal

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Mon Jul 28 18:16:58 MDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:48:17 -0400
Les Schaffer <schaffer at optonline.net> wrote:

[snip]

> i have to look to see how the archives are threaded, whether it goes
> only by Subject line or whether it inspects other headers. i think its
> pretty smart, for example, Mark Lause changed the Subject line from
> "Re: Dialectical Materialism" to "Joseph Dietzgen", but mhonarc was
> clever enough to know it was the same thread.

I've worked with mhonarc before and I'm sure it's clever enough to handle
threading correctly.

For what it's worth, IMHO a change of subject line mid-thread is acceptable *if*
the response is related somehow to the parent message, and if the sender is
courteous enough to supply enough information in the new subject line as to not
confuse readers. For instance, change the subject like so, assuming our thread
was called "Thread X":
Subject: New subject [Was: Thread X]

Also, I believe that an email list such as this is vastly superior to the
bulletin board type systems around today for many reasons. If there is a web
interface tacked on to the list to enable posting via a browser if need be that
would not detract from the technical advantages of the current system, but going
to a web-based BBS system would in my opinion be dropping down a notch in
usefulness.

Zak