Les Schaffer proposal

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Mon Jul 28 18:33:19 MDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:18:57 -0400
Les Schaffer <schaffer at optonline.net> wrote:

Hi Les

> >  If there is a web interface tacked on to the list to enable posting
> >  via a browser if need be that would not detract from the technical
> >  advantages of the current system, but going to a web-based BBS
> >  system would in my opinion be dropping down a notch in usefulness.
>
> thanks for the comments. if you could write me offlist with the
> negatives of web-based BBS as you see it, that would be helpful as i
> evaluate people's suggestions on their favorite message board.

Well immediate issues include the tying in to a web client. Why this is a
negative is because especially academic institutions etc may well restrict
access to email only in certain cases. Also it brings in a secondary issue of
browser compatibility. With normal email, all clients whether they be Pine/Mutt,
Outlook, Eudora or whatever will have 100% success rate with reading emails.
Depending on the quality of a web-based system, it may introduce reliance on
certain feature sets which exclude portions of the audience through incompliance
- outdated software etc.

Email clients also have features like threading, filtering, deleting and
otherwise managing and organising messages which the web interface will never be
able to match. The ability to filter into different sub-folders based on the
presence of certain keywords in subject lines or body text for example.

Another issue is the potential to block sites at a firewall and so on - likely
to be more prevalent for http traffic than email.

I think a web-based submission to marx mail would be a fantastic idea. I don't
think moving lock, stock and barrel to a web-based interface for all posting,
reading etc. would be.

Just my thoughts...

Ciao

Zak