Another Kucinich update

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:37:19 MDT 2003

Thought cdes. would find this interesting as well:

KUCINICH CALLS FOR U.S. TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ,
AND U.N. PEACEKEEPING FORCES TO GO IN

In statements from his Congressional office and on the campaign trail,
Kucinich continued today to urge a change of direction in Iraq. His
advocacy of a U.S. to U.N. transition is in stark contrast to other
Democratic candidates; Howard Dean, for example, supports sending
additional U.S. troops to Iraq (Meet the Press, 6/22).

Kucinich said today: "This weekend, with the deaths of 5 US troops, we
were once again reminded of the dangers facing US troops in what has
become a quagmire. To date 243 U.S. troops have died in Iraq. It is time
that the United States begins the process of withdrawing our troops, and
allow a UN peacekeeping force to take over the reconstruction of Iraq.

"In their rush to war, the Administration failed to adequately prepare
for the post-invasion period. Negotiations for an exit must begin now.
An exit agreement with the United Nations must involve the US letting go
of the contracting process.

"The UN must also take over management, accounting and distribution to
the Iraqi people of Iraq's oil profits. Additionally, a transition from
UN control to self- determined governing structure by and for the Iraqi
people must be planned. Finally, the Administration, which unwisely
ordered the bombing, must fund the reconstruction."

--
>From today's Des Moines Register:
It's time to bring American troops home from Iraq, Democratic
presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich said Sunday at a nationally
televised forum in Ottumwa.

"This is the time for us to rejoin the world community, rejoin the
United Nations and get our troops out of there," said Kucinich, an Ohio
congressman, at a forum hosted by U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa and
televised by C-SPAN. "I don't like the fact that our men and women are
being used for targets."

Kucinich's comments came as yet another U.S. solider was killed early
Sunday south of Baghdad....Kucinich's call for the return of U.S. troops
stands in contrast to former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, another opponent
of the war who has said the United States can't withdraw from Iraq now,
because that could lead to chaos.
http://www.dmregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/21851964.html