Dialectical Materialism again - reply to Mark Lause

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 29 00:00:15 MDT 2003

From:           	"Shane Hopkinson" <s.hopkinson at cqu.edu.au>

> For example Darwinism may be a more or less accurate
> rendering of the available evidence but it bears the hallmarks
> of the survival of the fittest mentality of laissez faire captialism.
> It doesn't mean its wrong but its ideological in that sense.
> Many social commentators use findings like Darwins to try
> and justify social inequalities and when they do its
> ideological - just like its ideological for us Marxists to say
> that this is invalid. Knowledge production and use are all
> part of the struggle.

 Many of the ideas attributed to Darwin are in fact not Darwin's.
For example, 'survivor of the fittest' (I was told by a student of
Darwin and from literature I've read on him) was used reluctantly by
Darwin and in fact wasn't even a term he coined. It was Spencer --
Darwin's cousin -- who came up with the idea of hierarchy in the
animal and human kingdom and hence the notion that only the
fittest will survive.  Darwin, by contrast, saw evolutionary change as
resulting by fortuitous factors, quite indepdent of human will.

DOQ