Norman Geras supports war in Iraq

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 30 07:14:50 MDT 2003

I could just about have 'got inside' the view - though it wasn't my view
- that the war to remove Saddam Hussein's regime should not be
supported. Neither Washington nor Baghdad - maybe. But opposition to the
war - the marching, the petition-signing, the oh-so-knowing derision of
George Bush and so forth - meant one thing very clearly. Had this
campaign succeeded in its goal and actually prevented the war it was
opposed to, the life of the Baathist regime would have been prolonged,
with all that that entailed: years more (how many years more?) of the
rape rooms, the torture chambers, the children's jails, and the mass
graves recently uncovered.

This was the result which hundreds of thousands of people marched to
secure. Well, speaking for myself, comrades, there I draw the line. Not
one step.

full: http://www.normangeras.blogspot.com

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org