Hitching

Walter Lippmann walterlx at enet.cu
Wed Jul 30 09:21:57 MDT 2003

Every day here in Cuba you can see women
(mostly) of all ages hitching in complete and
total safety. They stand on the side of the
roads with their thumbs out, or when traffic
is stopped, they walk directly up to drivers
and tell them where they are going and get
rides. Hitching is a normal and everyday
experience here.

No one reports harassment and if it were to
happend, word would get out either on the
regular media or the pervasive Radio Bemba
(as the Cuban equivalent of the grapevine is
known). I'm sure the guys will flirt with these
women a little bit as the "piropo", the cute
flirtatious remark is a national sport here on
the island. Here in Cuba I've seen soldiers
and staffers from the Ministry of the Interior
hitching rides. There is no danger to women
in Cuba from these activites, from what I've
seen and been told by many others.

This simple life experience doesn't jibe with
the description of the island as a hell for
women or the rest of the Cuban people as
the anti-Cuban US media, sometimes also
echoed on the left, tries to convince people.

Walter