Norman Geras supports war in Iraq

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Wed Jul 30 08:18:06 MDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:14:50 -0400
Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> I could just about have 'got inside' the view - though it wasn't my view
> - that the war to remove Saddam Hussein's regime should not be
> supported. Neither Washington nor Baghdad - maybe. But opposition to the
> war - the marching, the petition-signing, the oh-so-knowing derision of
> George Bush and so forth - meant one thing very clearly. Had this
> campaign succeeded in its goal and actually prevented the war it was
> opposed to, the life of the Baathist regime would have been prolonged,
> with all that that entailed: years more (how many years more?) of the
> rape rooms, the torture chambers, the children's jails, and the mass
> graves recently uncovered.

What is the correct response to this line of reasoning though? Well, apart from
the obvious slug o' lead between the eyes. To the apathetic sheep who believe
exactly what's rammed down their throats unquestioningly and the liberal weeds
(in the botanical sense) these arguments _can_ be persuasive, however
upside-down they are.